In June of 2016, after nearly 10 months of Task Force meetings it was suggested that a subcommittee be formed to examine the role of Citizen/Community Oversight in Police Relations. To date members include the following: Human Relations Members Dr. Theresa Saunders and Jennifer Symanns, Community members Rev. Dr. Denese Brown, D’Real Graham and Commissioner Ruth Ann Jamnick, Councilmembers Mayor Pro Tem Lois Richardson and Anne Brown. The subcommittee held three meetings, July 11, 20 and September 6, 2016 with the objective of making a recommendation to the Task Force for consideration in moving toward implementation of change.
- Ordinance Points of Interest submitted by RAW
- President Obamas Task Force on 21st Century Policing
- Faith Leaders Forum Statement on Policing and Racial Justice
- Campaign Zero
- Black Lives Matter Local and National Recommendations
- NACOLE.Org – Citizens Review of Police
- Ann Arbor Human Rights Commission: Civilian Police Review
- Policy Link: Building momentum from the ground up
Mission: To ensure safe and effective delivery of policing services through procedural justice.
Recommendation: To create a Community and Police Relations Commission to include city of Ypsilanti and possibly EMU by agreement. This commission or citizen driven process will oversee external and independent investigations and prosecutions of officer-involved shootings, claims of misconduct, arrests associated with mass demonstrations, other use of force situations, including custody deaths.
Policies should also include provisions for the collection of demographic data on all parties involved and should be made public.