black•ish (Episode 16, Hope)

blackish_0.jpg

When the kids ask some tough questions in the midst of a highly publicized court case involving alleged police brutality and an African-American teenager, Dre and Bow are conflicted on how best to field them. Dre, along with Pops and Ruby, feel the kids need to know what kind of world they’re living in, while Bow would like to give them a more hopeful view about life. When the verdict is announced, the family handles the news in different…

Continue reading →

Top Ten or so (Relevant) Quotes:

The experiences, conversations, and images have an effect on us. They make us curious.

Pops Johnson:

“Because the damn police are thugs. (Andre Johnson: Yeah, only 92%–the other 8% are advisors on Law & Order episodes.)”

Ruby Johnson:

“You know, you can try and mask the problems of this world in savory barbacoa meat and flowery tortillas if you choose, Rainbow! But it doesn’t change the fact: police in this country have a problem with Black folk.”

Andre Johnson:

“This is the unarmed guy who was selling dvds who got tased thirty-seven times.”

Zoey Johnson:

“I will be in room doing homework before my spanish teacher ‘tases’ me.”

Andre Johnson:

“They are not just children, they are Black children.”

Andre Johnson, Jr.:

“He’s 17! Pops, do you know anything about this case?”

Pops Johnson:

“I am old enough to know when I am hearing the same story told a different way; the police beating up on an unarmed Black man?”

The hope at its core is all that we can give our children.

Jack Johnson:

“That could have been one of us?”

Andre Johnson:

“You remember that amazing feeling we had during the inauguration? I was sitting right next to you. We were so proud. And we saw him get out of that limo and walk along side it and wave to that crowd. Tell me that you were not terrified when you saw that. Tell me you weren’t worried that someone was going to snatch that hope away from us like they always do.

That is the real world, Bow. And our children need to know that is the world that they live in.”

Zoey Johnson:

“I just feel hopeless.”

Jack Johnson:

“Sorry, Everybody. Just keeping it real.”